COURTESY OF SARA POPKIN, UUH, GERMANTOWN AND SURROUNDING AREAS
Happy Nurses' Week to our fabulous nurses!
Below are some recent resources to share.
Have a relaxing and enjoyable weekend, in spite of the weather forecast!
1. Community Legal Services has prepared a helpful chart on health insurance for workers on leave, layoff, or who have experienced other types of job loss. The attached chart is a great resource. It is important to secure new coverage within 60 days of your loss of employer-provided coverage, or you will lose the ability to obtain affordable benefits through the Marketplace.
1. Philadelphia Legal Assistance (PLA) is offering free help with PA unemployment compensation applications (attached). Also attached is information about grounds for appealing an unemployment ineligibility notice.
1. Community Legal Services has also prepared fact sheets about utility affordability and restoration during the pandemic. Please see attached.
Public Housing Resources
1. HUD’s Office of Lead Hazard Control and Healthy Homes(OLHCHH) has created a webinar on protecting residents in multi-family properties when a person is infected or suspected of being infected. While this webinar has already aired, it can still be accessed through the link in the attached flyer.
2. HUD has also created a webinar on best practices for disinfecting properties during the pandemic, which can also be accessed after its air date. Please see flyer for more information.
Property Tax Payments
1. Community Legal Services has prepared a two-page fact sheet (attached) with information about changes in property tax payment deadlines, property tax-related foreclosures, and property tax installment plans. Please note that some of the attached information may not apply to you if you have a property tax escrow account with your mortgage company.
1. Philadelphia Corporation for Aging (PCA) has published an article with ideas to help older adults navigate technology to stay connected.
1. Lutheran Settlement House is providing free weekly workshops to help professionals understand how to best support clients who have experienced intimate partner violence. Registration is required, and the sessions take place over the next four Tuesdays, from 1-2 PM.
2. New Courtland is offering a free webinar on Safety in the Home, specifically geared to older adults and those who care for them. The webinar is scheduled for Wednesday, May 13, at noon. More information can be found by clicking on the webinar link above, and is also attached to this email.
3. Ralston Center is offering a free mindfulness meditation session on Zoom on Friday, May 15, at 12:15 PM. Pre-registration is required.
4. CARIE and Good Shepherd Mediation Program are providing a free webinar introducing the Older Adult Restorative Justice Program on Wednesday, May 20, at 1 PM. This program will be helpful to professionals in aging who have an interest in non-punitive ways for older adults to address harm and conflict.
5. New Courtland is partnering with Rothkoff Law Group and Premier Home Care to provide a free webinar about care planning for blended and non-traditional families on Wednesday, June 10, at 2 PM. More information can also be found on the attached flyer, and free CEUs are available.
1. Supportive Older Women's Network (SOWN) is still searching for their next Director of Programs. More information is embedded in the link, and is also attached to this email. The deadline to apply is May 29, 2020.
2. The Bucks-Mont Collaborative is hiring a Coordinator for Consulting Services. More information is embedded in the link, and is also attached to this email. the deadline to apply is May 31, 2020.
3. The Census Bureau is currently seeking temporary data collection employees in Philadelphia and the surrounding counties.
1. Licensed social workers, therapists, and counselors have been receiving scam calls from someone posing as a State Board representative to discuss license status. Payment is being requested over the phone. The Board does not request payment or personal information over the phone, so be warned!
2. Aggressive investors are trying to take advantage of pandemic panic to purchase your home at less than its market value. If you receive such a call, Community Legal Services may be able to help you figure out what your options are, even if you have already signed an agreement of sale. More information is available at this link.
1. Senator Art Haywood's office has been pulling together and updating a comprehensive COVID-19 resource guide, which is attached to this email.
2. Philadelphia Corporation for Aging (PCA) has also created a recent resource guide on a variety of helpful topics. It is attached.
3. Septa https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/05/01/septa-lifeline-service-increase/
Property Tax Payment Issues Part 2.jpg
300K View Scan and download
Property Tax Payment Issues Part 1.jpg
297K View Scan and download
PLA Unemployment Application Assistance.jpg
175K View Scan and download
247K View Scan and download
NC Care Planning for Blended and Non-Traditional Families.pdf
931K View as HTML Scan and download
SOWN DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS JOB POSTING.pdf
85K View as HTML Scan and download
130K View as HTML Scan and download
523K View as HTML Scan and download
PCA Remains Committed during COVID-19.pdf
981K View as HTML Scan and download
Announcement on Public Housing and COVID19 Webinar (2).pdf
243K View as HTML Scan and download
Announcement on Multifamily Properties and COVID19 Webinar (1).pdf
199K View as HTML Scan and download
252K View as HTML Scan and download
Sen Haywood COVID-19 Provisions Doc 4.23.2020.pdf
1252K View as HTML Scan and download
Utility Restorations COVID.pdf
156K View as HTML Scan and download
Utility Affordability and COVID-19.pdf
190K View as HTML Scan and download
To the Germantown Community,
These are difficult times. We all have a role to play to keep the Germantown community healthy. You can help curb the spread of the coronavirus by staying home and practicing social distancing. If you have friends, family, or neighbors who are not digitally connected or do not understand the importance of social distancing, please find a way to share this important and potentially life-saving information with them.
Be safe, kind, and responsible.
Call the office at (215) 856-4303 and leave a message. We are checking voicemail remotely.
Or, email a staff member directly:
Citywide Stay at Home Order Now in Effect
All Philadelphia residents must remain home or at their place of residence unless they are engaged in Essential Personal Activities.
Examples of essential personal activities include:
The complete list of personal activity restrictions can be found in Section 6 of the order.
News about the spread of COVID-19 in Philadelphia
The current Pandemic has shut-down many services across the country, which have limited and postponed the reviews and approvals for the Germantown YWCA Development.
KBK Enterprises is taking steps day to day to continue operations and be prepared for any progress in the process.
Please be advised that there is not current update and future updates and status on the Germantown YWCA Development will be postponed until further notice.
Ismail Abdul-Hamid, KBK Enterprises
Stay in touch
Do you know of other organizations in Germantown that are working to support residents during this time? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the information and we'll share through our networks.
The mission of GU is to promote and facilitate the revitalization of Germantown and its business corridors through a sustainable, creative and community-driven approach to economic development.
Courtesy of Sharon Shecter Cohen for Montgomery/Bucks Counties:
We continue to update Montgomery County on what we learn in terms of changing services and help needed. If you keep me informed of what's happening with your organization, I'll continue to keep other members and Montco informed. We will also share Bucks info coming to us with our members and friends. Primarily what's helpful is what you're doing to meet the challenge as well as what you need - specific supplies, volunteers, etc.
This update contains new info that has come to me. Check the bottom of this email for some updates from Bucks-Mont Collaborative. I suggest you save these messages in the event you need to check a resource later. Check websites below for changes during this fluid situation.
Two funding opportunities are repeated just in case you missed them:
2020 US Census Day - April 1, 9 AM
Montgomery County Complete Count Committee Hosts Virtual Rally on Zoom - Montgomery County Commissioner Val Arkoosh will kick off the rally. Other leaders of this effort will speak as well.
This ZOOM call will also be recorded and sent out on social media later in the day!
Emergency Food Map of Montgomery County
Martha's Choice Marketplace (Norristown) - Susan Stier, email@example.com - Current hours of operation are Wednesday from 4 to 6 pm and Friday from 11 am to 1 pm.
Alzheimer's Association - Joan Grasso, firstname.lastname@example.org - The Delaware Valley Chapter is working remotely. Still, operations will continue to support their mission. They are available 24/7 for care and support at 1-800-272-3900. Check www.alz.org for details on any remotely scheduled meetings, educational events, plus care and support services.
Mental Health Services
Healthy Minds MD - healthymindsmd.com - Ujwala Dixit, email@example.com, conducted COVID-19 teleconferences on 3/28/20 in these languages: Hindi, Marathi, Telugu.
KidsPeace - www.kidspeace.org - Offers "Helpful Tips for Kids and Teens Dealing with Stress During This Crisis." Find it here:
NAMI (Montco) - www.namimontcopa.org -
Norristown PD - Captain/Duputy Chief Richard C. Clowser, firstname.lastname@example.org - Norristown PD is in need of the loan of a few laptops ASAP to establish remote locations within the municipality from which they can facilitate operations. Laptops would need to have Windows 10, SSD drive, wifi capability, and camera for video conferencing.
The Open Link - www.theopenlink.org - Executive Director Stu Bush, StuartB@theopenlink.org, shares this article with practical tips to deal with this crisis. https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief
UUH Outreach Program - Sara Popkin - One of the challenges of working remotely with clients is maintaining the privacy of your personal phone number while connecting with your clients or patients, many of whom will not accept a blocked call. Doximity is a great app to make your phone appear as if it is calling from your office number. For other professionals, Google Voice will enable you to make calls from a separate unblocked number, and even allow return calls to a separate voicemail.
Bucks-Mont Collaborative Updates:
May we all express our gratitude to those essential workers who risk exposure to the virus - docs, nurses, housekeeping staff, truck drivers, grocery store workers, police, fire fighters, EMTs, and more! And heartfelt thanks to all of you for reaching out to help our community's most vulnerable people! It's an honor to be in the midst of heroes!